Tuesday, September 13, 2011

A few things I learned this summer.....

1. That it's easy to bite off more than you can chew.  That I need to learn to say "no" sometimes.  That it's ok not to do everything you're asked to do.

2. That all that glitters isn't gold.  A sweet friend of mine has one of those lives that people envy - myself included.  A great house, great kids, great husband, great furniture, great vacations, etc - you know what I'm talking about.   She got "real" this summer and admitted a few things that let me see behind the green curtian - like when Dorothy, the Lion, and the Tin Man saw that the Wizard wasn't who they thought he was - and I learned that not everything is as it appears......One more reason to be thankful for what I've been given and a nice reminder to quit comparing myself to others. 

3. That time flies.  Really?  Where did the summer go?  I didn't get to do all the fun "summery" things that were on my list.  Time really flew this summer.  I'm a tad bit sad about that.

4.  I learned a little bit more about what a "Heart friend" is.  Another sweet friend used this term once while she was going through some trials and I didn't quite understand what she meant.  I learned a little about "Heart friends" this summer.  I want to be one.

5.  I learned that I really do like homeschooling - even for High Schoolers! 

6.  I learned that I don't have to beat myself up over homeschooling - that the last several years have paid off - and that we don't have to reinvent the wheel.  I learned that I can back off a little and enjoy this journey and my kids are going to be ok.  Really - they are.

7.  I learned that not all advice is good advice - even when it comes from well-meaning sources.

8.  I learned that "there's no place like home".

9.  I learned that God apparently wants us to stay in Sikeston -at least for now.

10.  I learned that I really love our small group.  I love having 20 plus people in my house on Sunday nights.  And I love the 20 Somethings that let us pour our hearts into their lives.  Thank You 

11.  I learned that I need to be thankful.

12.  I learned that Grandmothers really do pass away - We lost our Mimi on July 4 our our Nona on Sept 3.  They will be missed.

13.  I learned that sometimes you can follow something -  but that it doesn't always lead you where you thought it would.  Sometimes you walk in a straight line - and sometimes you come around full circle.  Right back where you were to begin with - although a little thicker skinned and street wise because of the journey.

14.  I learned that I love some things about Jay - really, madly, truly love them.

15.  I learned that each and every day we love this sweet little Chinese girl more and more - and she seems to feel the same about us.

No comments:

Post a Comment