Friday, June 8, 2012

Bloom Where You are Planted

That little phrase inspired millions of cross-stiched plaques back in the early 80's - but it still rings so true today.  As Jay and I have sought the Lord's direction lately for ways to reach out - He seems to be leading us right into our own backyard.  Although I have to confess that our idea of missions looks like selling your house, packing up all your stuff, and trekking across the Great Divide on camelback to reach the little Indian village that's never heard the name of Jesus - I am coming to the conclusion that our mission field may look more like our own neighborhood during this season of life.  While that seems so less heroic and daring - it may be just as adventurous as we learn to bloom right where we are. 

Over the last few months - I've been placed in a postion of leadership within our local MOPS group.  I'm a little scared and excited at the thought of navigating this awesome band of Moms through the perils of toddlerhood - but, Wow!, they are teaching me so much.  Even though I still have a toddler in my midst - my season of being defined by children whose birthday cake candles could still be counted on one hand - has passed me by.  And I'm not the least bit sad.  I love every age of my children - but I adore teenagers.  They are horrible and quirky and weird and awkward - but so fascinating.  I have longed to be the mother of teenagers and I love this season of life.  Not only do I have 2 teens camped out in my basement right now - but for the next 16 years!!! - someone in their teens will be calling me

Last night - we had one of our many Summer MOPS Meet & Greets to help the moms in our group get to know each other better.  We met at 8:30 at Ruby Tuesdays for late night coffee and dessert.

It was a great time to just sit and chat and we learned some interesting things about each other - hopefully leading to deeper, more meaningful friendships as time goes by.  In case you weren't there - I presented the group with 3 questions to keep the conversation flowing (I am the Queen of Converstation, you know! - that's an inside joke that some of you may catch ;-)  Ask yourself these questions and feel free to share your answers so we can learn more about you!

1. What is latest book you've read?
2. What is one thing about yourself that most people don't know?
3. What is your number one biggest issue with parenting at this point in time?

Hope you are having a great summer!




No comments:

Post a Comment